Spirulina: Nature’s Most Perfect Food
If you are looking for one of nature’s most perfect foods then look no further than spirulina. It holds a wide variety of hidden health benefits and offers a multitude of vitamins and minerals that are good for both a healthy body as well as a healthy mind. Spirulina has been around since the beginning of of life and is considered one of Earth’s most nutrient-dense foods
Spirulina has been expertly crafted by mother nature to provide all the necessary nutrients the body needs. Because of this, spirulina has cultivated across the globe and is widely used as a dietary supplement. It can be found in many forms such as tablets, powders, and even flake form. Everyday, people are looking for healthy alternatives to the high fat and high caloric foods found on most supermarket shelves. With an unheard of 55 to 70% protein content, it supersedes even beef, chicken or soybeans.
What Exactly Is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is safely consumed by both humans and animals. It has been used and eaten by various cultures throughout ancient history and was a favorite staple of the both Aztec and Mayan cultures for centuries because of its incredible array of health benefits due to having 8 essential and 10 non-essential amino acids, high levels of vitamin B-12, as well as being a great source for beta-carotene. It also contains four times the amount of antioxidants than blueberries.
Spirulina comes from two main species and is eaten as both a whole food and a dietary supplement. Commonly, it is used as a feeding supplement for aquarium, aquaculture, and poultry industries due to its high nutritional value. Spirulina has been called the most nutritionally complete of all food supplements and has become a favorite of health food centers.
Spirulina is found in many tropical and subtropical waters that contain high salt content but it can be found in many types of freshwater environments, including ponds, lakes, and rivers. It will thrive with plenty of sunlight and moderate temperature levels which helps it to use photosynthesis to become a source of Phycocyanin, one of the key ingredients that makes Spirulina a superfood which is a protein that is only found only in blue-green algae.
Health Benefits Of Spirulina
Spirulina provides a number of important health benefits not found in other foods .
- It has incredible anti-aging qualities which come from its rich iron, magnesium and trace minerals content and is much easier to absorb than your basic iron supplements.
- Provides an instant boost of pure energy, help maintain endurance, and reduces feelings of sluggishness and fatigue by maximizing the use of oxygen throughout the body.
- Improves the immune system by fighting off disease and illness including cancer and has been shown through research to remove toxins from the body.
- In a recent study, spirulina was used to help relax the artery walls and normalize human blood pressure which decreases your LDL cholesterol by more than 10 percent and raising the good HDL cholesterol by at least 15 percent,..
- With a high number of antioxidants, spirulina balances the body’s pH levels which reduce pain and inflammation making it easier to heal the body.
- Spirulina is a natural appetite depressant, which is great for weight loss and it increases the concentration of nutrients in your body which reduces hunger and cravings.
The Risks Of Taking Spirulina
The only way to truly take spirulina is by choosing the organic kind. Some algae can be contaminated by poisons and heavy metals from polluted streams and lakes. Check with your physician if you have PKU as it contains that same amino acid. The same goes if you are on any type of anti-coagulation medicine.
Spirulina is a supplement everyone should be taking especially now that most people are undernourished, overweight and have too many toxins in their body. Supplements are easily found at many health food stores and should be part of a health regime filled with organic food.