Making Personal Growth Work For You
“Intelligent, successful, attractive people can be intimidating. They force us to hold a mirror to ourselves; we can be disappointed, jealous or inspired toward personal growth”. Ian K. Smith
Personal growth is the driving force behind any life-enhancing change. It comes from knowing exactly what you want to do and the actions you take to get it done. Growth comes when that burning desire deep inside motivates you to take action and doing everything you can to make it happen. It keeps you on track to make your dreams come true and helps when things gets tough.
Are you walking down the path of personal transformation?
What are you willing to do to make that transformation happen?
There comes a time in your life when must commit to making a decision about personal development. Where are you going in life and how will you get there? These type of questions come at the time when we most need help in taking that next step in life.
When school finishes you still must keep learning even if it’s through the school of hard knocks. Those who pretend to hate learning are the ones who get left behind. The most successful people are the ones who didn’t let failure stand in their way.
Failure for some, may not be an option but failure pushes us to make the extraordinary push for greatness. Russell Simmons says, “What holds most people back isn’t the quality of their ideas, but their lack of faith in themselves. You have to live your life as if you are already where you want to be.” Do you know where you want to be?
That is the question that stands before you.
Here’s 5 top tips to help you supercharge your personal growth:
- Learn the art of awareness – Too often, people lose sight of their surroundings. They don’t pay attention to what is happening around them, they don’t pay attention to what they say or what they hear. The more aware you are, the easier it is to make improvements and adapt to the many changes that life throws our way. According to David Harrison, Head of Psychology for Doncaster Rovers FC Academy,“Being aware will give you an insight into your beliefs and whether they are positive or holding you back. If you are aware then this will give you knowledge and if you have knowledge then you know what you need to do to and the direction you need to go to make changes to improve and be successful.” Awareness is a skill that needs to be learned and a skill that helps us have a better understanding of ourselves through our thoughts and actions.
- Learn how to focus your mind – Your mind plays a huge part in any personal growth that comes. What better way to improve one’s self than to learn how to properly focus the mind so that you are able to block out all the distractions and noise of everyday life. Be a witness to your thoughts. Detach yourself from your thoughts and see where they take you. According to Wendy Hasenkamp, Ph.D., a neuroscientist and Senior Scientific Officer at the Mind & Life Institute, focus allows you to “Train your attention systems to become more aware of the mental landscape at any given moment, and more adept at navigating it.” A focused mind is able to thrive with undivided attention. Thorin Klosowski, a senior writer at lifehacker.com states that, “When you’re focused your perception of the world around you changes and you have a heightened ability to ignore things around you. This is being in “the zone,” or “the flow.” That flow is where the creative part of our brain takes over and we are able to tap into our inner greatness. Personal transformation comes when we reach the next step in our pathway to learning through focused learning.
- Let go of beliefs that are holding you back from success – Sometimes, our beliefs don’t stand the test of time and can hold us back from growing. It could be something from our past that needs to be updated or a particular belief that is causing you pain. Core beliefs are not what we are talking about here but ideas that you have picked up over the years that for some reason you hold on to without any data to back up. One of these beliefs could be that you feel life owes you something because of all the hard work you’ve put into getting ahead or you worry too much about other people’s opinion of you. The problem here lies not in your beliefs but in your emotions. Feelings can hold us back if they are constantly negative and bring out our selfish nature. Personal growth is not so much about us in general but learning to change for the better to adapt to a changing world. The less we worry about things we cannot change the easier it becomes to focus on the things we can change and make that change come true.
- It’s the journey not the end game that’s most important – If you get to the end without learning anything what have you really accomplished? Have you made any progress whatsoever. The journey to personal growth is going to be filled with ups and downs but it’s what you learn from these ups and downs that serve you the best. Humans want everything before they are ready to handle it. Experience is life’s greatest teacher yet the more we learn the less we know. Why? Knowledge is one thing but putting that knowledge into practical application is another thing altogether. Your growth takes time. It’s why a baby takes nine months to gestate before it’s ready to be born. Time is our greatest teacher and when you pay close attention to the lessons and put them into effect, that is when you will see the biggest self improvement.
- Develop your character strengths – Knowledge by itself is nothing unless you use it to make the world and yourself better. One thing many people forget on their road t personal growth is strengthening their character. When you learn how to put your strengths to work each day you unleash new possibilities in your in your life. These possibilities are endless when you strengthen the five most important character strengths; kindness, fairness, judgement, honesty and gratitude. Personal growth needs these traits to build both the mind and the emotional connections needed to be a well-rounded individual. The same goes for prudence, modesty and self regulation. We aren’t put on this earth to do or say whatever we want. There are rules that society lives by and we must follow them to be part of the social aspect of life. If you cannot contain yourself and allow immoral beliefs and action to take over your personality, personal growth not only recedes but you will also be in danger of losing friends, family and the respect of others. Balance is key to self growth. Grow too fast and you may not be able to handle the new found wisdom. Grow too slow, and you may not be motivated to continue.
Making The Personal Growth Mindset Work For You
Now that you have the five tips to supercharge your personal growth, it is up to use them wisely. You may think you are special because of the powers you have learned but beware of over blowing your self-worth. Just because you know these things does not make you better or smarter than any other person.
I have seen people completely change who they are because they think they’ve grown so much they don’t need to keep learning or don’t need to practice humility. This is the fallacy of self improvement. To make it work for you, you must respect what you have learned and put that knowledge to work for others not yourself.
That’s right, personal growth is not just for you but for the betterment of mankind and people in general. You have a responsibility to help others and bring your new found knowledge to others.
Unconditional love and personal growth are connected by the spirit of God. He wants you to love and care for others but he also wants you to take the knowledge, the skills and your talents and use them to help others. What I learn, I pass n to you. What you learn, you pass on to others so that we are all lifted up to the Lord.
Knowledge is not something you keep in a drawer and take out to look at once in awhile and smile at. Instead, it is something we are constantly giving away so that others may benefit as we have benefitted.
“How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?”
Your spirit rises to the knowledge you attain but when you put that knowledge into action your spirit rises up to God as a tribute with love and honor. Self improvement, self worth and personal growth are all done for one reason only… to to bring the love of God into our own lives and then give it to others. Anything else is just for selfish reasons and denigrates the real knowledge of the universe.
Want to learn how to improve your life, find the answers to your own personal growth and self improvement? You can find them in my #1 Bestselling book on Amazon.com entitled, “Summoned To Love – A Spiritual Blueprint For Rediscovering Inner Peace, Unconditional Love And True Happiness.”
Do You Want Lasting Happiness
Without Worrying About All Of Life's Problems?
Latest posts by Barry Ferguson (see all)
- Mind Hacking: How To Maximize Your Brain Power For Peak Performance - August 3, 2017
- How To Unleash Your Full Potential To The World - July 23, 2017
- Are Limiting Beliefs Stopping You From Enjoying Real Success? - July 22, 2017